Associate Director of Human Resources
Are you an HR Leader who believes there is strength in diversity? Nia Tero seeks to secure Indigenous guardianship of vital ecosystems. Key to our mission is harnessing diverse perspectives, life experiences, and work experiences in an environment that promotes innovation, creativity, trust, and teamwork.
ABOUT NIA TERO
Nia Tero is a US-based nonprofit working in solidarity with Indigenous peoples and movements worldwide. We have an inclusive culture guided by Indigenous wisdom, practices, and protocols. Our governing bodies, leadership, and staff are built upon diverse, Indigenous and non-Indigenous identities and life experiences. As a bridging organization, we view this diversity as a source of our strength. Our mission is to work in solidarity with Indigenous peoples who sustain thriving territories and cultures to strengthen guardianship of Earth and all beings. Our vision is of an Earth where Indigenous guardianship of thriving homelands and waters is enabled everywhere possible on Earth. Nia Tero is in a start-up phase seeking candidates who thrive in a dynamic environment and are flexible as the organization grows and scales.
The Associate Director of Human Resources is an individual contributor role caring for 60 plus global team members. Reporting to the Senior Managing Director, Operations, the Associate Director of Human Resources will assure that our people programs align with Nia Tero’s mission, values, and work. Nia Tero is in a start-up phase, and this is a newly created in-house role for someone who thrives in a dynamic environment.
- Participate in upholding Nia Tero’s culture and values through fostering and engaging in an inclusive environment and nurturing a purpose-driven culture characterized by accountability, collaboration, and commitment to Nia Tero’s mission.
- Act as a trusted advisor and coach to team members, managers, and leaders on all people-related issues.
- Facilitate conversations to foster shared understanding and connect the various cultural, geographic, and linguistic frameworks across a globally diverse team.
- Champion diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in diverse, culturally appropriate ways that demonstrate Nia Tero’s commitment to our team.
- Create and manage programs to enhance the team member capacity including professional development, new manager training, performance management, and HR operations.
- Work with third party vendors including benefits brokers, compensation consultants, immigration attorneys, and other vendors as needed to support Nia Tero’s goals, impact, and culture.
- Partner with managers in recruiting and hiring new team members.
- Oversee compensation programs and processes, both domestic and global, including periodic updates on pay ranges, gathering external benchmark data, and facilitating compensation adjustments as needed.
- Proactively keep up on HR related best practices, trends, and recommend continuous improvements in internal policies. Act as point person and advisor on relevant employment regulations, compliance, and reporting.
- Responsible for establishing and implementing HR-related administrative tasks including HR related records management, updating onboarding and offboarding materials and processes, administration of leave protocols, benefits, HR related payroll activities in coordination with finance team, and implementation of HR related compliance policies.
- Partnering with Senior Managing Director, Operations and other key internal partners, design and implement processes for addressing team related challenges, oversee employee relations matters and as-needed provide guidance to foster successful interactions amongst team members, while ensuring culturally appropriate communication in a global context.
- 7+ years of related human resources experience in a nimble, growing organization with globally dispersed employees.
- Experience with other places and cultures. This position requires discretion and cultural sensitivity.
- Hands-on experience building and administering HR initiatives including performance management, team relationships, manager development, guiding mediation conversations and resolving conflicts.
- Strong project management skills from design through completion.
- Business acumen and flexibility to proactively strategize on what is needed from human resources as the organization grows and scales.
- Open-minded to how people think and work. A naturally curious person who listens, is willing to learn from others, and supports different points of view.
- Prior experience in global work environments and/or working with Indigenous Peoples
- Speaks Portuguese or Spanish.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND TRAVEL
- This role is expected to be onsite at least 3 days a week in our Capital Hill office in Seattle. Exact schedule will be agreed upon during the hiring process. In the event of travel for business activities, proof of vaccination status with be required.
HOW TO APPLY
If interested in this role, please click on APPLY NOW button to send cover letter with resume to Chris Englin at Big Wave Recruiting and include “Associate Director of Human Resources” in the subject line.
Nia Tero is a polycultural, global organization that strives to have an inclusive, equitable, and diverse work culture. We strongly encourage people from historically excluded groups to apply.
The salary range for this position is USD $130,000 - $145,000 annually based on level of experience. Our compensation program is US based and pay ranges are representative of compensation in the US market. This is a full-time permanent position and qualifies for healthcare benefits (medical, dental, and vision), 401K and paid time off (including vacation leave, sick leave, and personal days.
Senior Managing Director, Operations
Exempt / Salary